Sunday, September 7, 2008

Anniversary Update

Well, the anniversary went great. First of all Katie was able to get all dressed up in a great outfit that some of her friends had got her for her birthday. Then we went to the church where we were married 10 yrs ago (Meredith Drive Reformed Church), and said our vows to each other. Again, this is always a bitter sweet event as you are faced with all of your short comings and yet there is great love and emotion, all at the same moment. After that we went to a nice restaurant and had a very nice meal (for those of you in the DSM area, we went to Flying Mango, highly recommend). We then rented a movie and snuggled on the couch. What a great night.

A couple of neat things that came of this night. First of all, every year I have the pleasure of speaking with Jane who is the office administrator for Meredith Drive, and of course this year was even better. She has been following Katie's progress and when she know that Katie would be able to go home, she was sure that she would be hearing from me soon. She was very excited.

Speaking of being home, I can't tell you how many people have commented to me that when I first announced that I was hoping to take Katie to the church that many did not think it would happen. So many are just amazed that the Lord was gracious to us and allowed us to keep this wonderful tradition alive.

Apparently Katie forgot that we don't give each other gifts for our anniversary (her idea, she's a penny pincher) and she got me a little something. Boy did I feel like a "hero" when we go to get in the car and she has a wonderfully wrapped gift for me and I have a card and a smile. She got me a bicycle helmet! I guess one head injury in our family is enough. I couldn't agree more.

11 comments:

Heather said...

It sounds like it was a wonderful way to celebrate! Congratulations on 10 years!! So glad you were able to continue your special tradition.


Heather for the Piszars in MI

Eryn said...

we are SO glad you were able to keep up this tradition. Happy Annivesary!

Kathleen said...

This is the icing on the cake. I think everyone is cheering! Kathleen

Dru's mom said...

I've been following your progress. I'm so glad that you have made it home. I prayer to God that things will be normal soon for all in your house. I'm also so thankful that your little guy has bounded with you. The bound between a mommy and son is like nothing else in the world.
Keeping in my thoughts and prayers.
Missi Spurgeon
www.drusteven.blogspot.com

Laurel said...

Praise the Lord!!

Anonymous said...

Davey,

OUR LIVES ARE TOO BE HELPLESS,AND DESPERATE, AND DEPENDENT ON HIM. HE WHO LIVES INSIDE OF US CAN LOVE PERFECTLY. IF HE THOUGHT WE COULD DO IT PERFECTLY THERE WOULDNT OF BEEN A NEED FOR JESUS SO REST IN HIM AND HE WILL COVER THE REST.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY LOVE BIRDS!!!

Anonymous said...

Katie and Davey you have been an inspiration to me. Your love for each other is so strong!! Happy Anniversary and for many more to come!!!

Dawn Dannels Two Rivers Church

Anonymous said...

We're still praying!!!

Eric & Sara Sanger

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! What a blessing it is that Katie was home in time.

Katie's gift of the helmet...and your comment that one head injury's enough in your family...brought tears to my eyes. Wow!

Lauri Wagaman

Anonymous said...

We continue to pray. An interesting article today on the CNN website about "miracles" Thought you might like the read as it is so similar to the miracle in Katie's life.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/09/11/ep.faith.medicine/index.html

The Wilson's

Anonymous said...

Jesus did not leave Peter in the middle of the lake. He will do the same for you...