Friday, August 8, 2008

Friday Afternoon

Another good day today. I brought the girls down today and we had a great time as Katie was a lot more with it. She was excited to see them and we all sat around and ate some sherbet. Aubree is not fazed by much and so was practically in bed with Katie talking to her and showing her pictures. Tayler is a little more cautious and was content to stand back a little bit and watch. All in all the girls handled the situation very well and I think it was good for them and for Katie too (when the girls left she blew them kisses).

The veritable stream of Dr's continues to flow through the room though I think we saw the last of the infectious disease Dr's today. They have looked as hard as they can and they still cannot find any infections. The cause of the fever continues to be blamed on the blood still in her head. The Vascular Dr says that on Monday Katie can get out of bed and do some walking. I guess that is when the hard part comes, rehab. Good to know as I was beginning to think everything we've gone through so far was far to easy to warrant all the attention. I think a lot of the Dr's like to come by just to see Katie and not because they have anything in particular to do or say. I'm thinking of charging admission if they don't at least listen to her heart.

Katie got her staples out today as the wound on her head, from the skull plate being put back in, is healing nicely. Also, I would say 80-90% of the external swelling on her head has gone. This is also evident as everyone who visits comments on how good she looks.

Katie continues to struggle finishing her thoughts. She's great at starting sentences, but has a hard time completing them. We're also not sure how well her eyes are working. She can definitely see as she can identify most everyone as soon as they walk in the room, but when you hand her a picture she constantly moves it around as if trying to find a way to make it clear. Most of these issues should resolve as the rest of the swelling in her brain subsides, but we'll have to wait and see to be sure. Please continue to pray for complete restoration of Katie's mind and sight.

I feel like I need to post a quick note of clarification about myself. Many have asked me how I've stayed so strong through all of this. The reality is that on Friday morning, the 18th of July, I demonstrated my strength by almost completely loosing it. What changed between that Friday morning and most every day since is God. Everything changed when I took my eyes off of the situation and focused them on God. My peace is really a result of my deep, personal relationship with the creator of the universe. Once I reminded myself of who was really in control, the fear left. Imagine your big strong dad walking into your room as a child and scarring all the boggy men away (real or imagined), that was me. Religion did not help me. Good works did not bring peace. Education did not comfort my fears. In the end it was my God and Savior, who demonstrated his love for me by allowing his true son (Jesus) to die on a cross because of my sin, who wrapped his arms around his scarred little boy and held him tight. Please don't mistake my strength for His.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know John and Ruth from Immanuel mission and just want you to know that I know exactly wha you mean about nothing being able to calm your fears but the Savior Himself. My mom was healed of cancer two years ago and it was God alone, stripped of all pretenses and ideas, that soothed my fears. Amen to your faith and I am praying for Katie.
-EB from Hawaii

Anonymous said...

You said, "Everything changed when I took my eyes off of the situation and focused them on God. My peace is really a result of my deep, personal relationship with the creator of the universe. Once I reminded myself of who was really in control, the fear left."
I can echo these comments as that is the same situation I found myself in when my wife had cancer and was given 6 months to live if we didn't try the Chemo treatments. Knowing that IF God chose to take her it was because He had better plans for me! There is no longer fear of the future when we put the future in His hands. "I know who holds the future and I know who holds my hand."
(My wife, Maryann, has been in remission now for 5 years.)
Don Andersen

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord, well said Davey boy. We continue to pray in NC
Patti for the Goggins

Anonymous said...

I am so glad Katie is doing pretty good considering!

AMEN to that last paragraph! The Lord has truly done that in my life multiple times. He deserves all the glory, honor and praise!

Regan in Ames (from EBCalumni)

Nate Kern said...

I love to come and check on Katie's progress! We continue to pray in Green Bay. Thank you for the closing paragraph. Only God can handle a situation like this, or any other for that matter.

Anonymous said...

There is a lot for us to learn from your actions. I am so blown away by the way you have turned it over to God. That is the only thing you can do in this kind of situation. I hope that through this others can see your faith and exercise the same faith when they are faced with tough circumstances. We love you guys and are praying for you daily. Can't wait to see the whole fam back at church! It won't be too long! Shawn and Lindsey Swygman

Sarah said...

Thank you for your powerful testimony. Praying and reading daily, Sarah (Nichols)Sloan

Anonymous said...

Davey~

Your right, God will always position us to be HELPLESS, and DEPENDENT on HIM period. There are no BIG SHOTS in his kingom. He will not share his POSITION.

I remember being in a serious situation one time in the E.R. with my daughter and the clerk ask why we were there and I answered. After that my heart became still then God spoke to me and said "Theres nothing you can do about"! I was rudely reminded that I needed to be helpless, and dependent, on him to see this thru. So I to had to let go.

God is love and he has to bring us back in alignment underneath him.