Monday, August 11, 2008

Monday Night

Busy day today, for all concerned. First of all my day (since I am really the one your interested in). The very first nurse that we had the first night was named Sue. Sue's husband (Eric) is a professional photographer and offered to do a shoot with the kids for free. So, this morning we packed up the family and headed over to the studio. Karen did a great job of picking outfits for the three and the kids did a great job of just being adorable. Sawyer was on his best behavior and made his daddy proud. Eric did a great job of getting awesome poses out of the kids and we are really looking forward to seeing the prints.

I took everyone back home and then headed down to the hospital. Over the lunch hour I had a leader meeting for church with Rob and Mark. It's been a crazy month for the church and we had a lot to talk about. Most of it good, however, some of you will be getting a visit soon. We almost had to cancel our meeting as Mark had to go to his Dr's office to get a few staples. The story is he dropped a tool on his head, but I think Dawn took a swipe at him and he doesn't want to admit it. After the meeting we had a good time of prayer over Katie.

I stayed at the hospital for a few hours and then headed home as I had to go to a meeting at Aubree's school for all kindergartners parents. After the meeting I went home, had a bite to eat, tucked the girls in bed, and headed outside to mow the lawn.

I say all this in an effort to make an elaborate excuse for not getting the post up sooner. I pray that you fall for it and feel deep sorrow for me. Thank you for your support.

Now to Katie. A lot of what happened today was relayed to me by Sue, though I did some good interactions with her this afternoon. Again, no real changes on the medical front other than a few minor developments. First of all, the Infectious Disease Dr's are back, and this time they found something. Katie has a bladder infection, which is pretty much guaranteed when you have a catheter for a month. So, the Dr prescribed some antibiotics and ordered that the catheter to come out. This is a good development and Katie is now able to control these functions and starting tomorrow should be able to get out of bed to go.

The swelling in Katie's leg is basically all gone, and the nurses are very excited about the clots being gone. There was no real reason for Katie not to be able to walk today other than the Dr being out of town.

This morning the Speech Pathologist was asking Katie a bunch of questions and she was answering them very easily. We've asked her where she lives a number of times and she has never been able to get it right, but today she spit it out without thinking. So, we continue to make big gains on the mental front.

However we did have some regression today. Up to this point Katie has been very nice for the most part, and whenever she was making fun of someone, there was always a smile to follow it up letting you know she was kidding. The morning was good, but by this afternoon things went South. Katie was mad that she couldn't get out of bed. I told her that we need the Dr to approve it and he was gone. She thought she should be able to get out of bed and go and see the Dr. She was also not happy with all of the tubes hooked up to her and was trying to pull them out. I told her about getting the pictures taken and she was mad that I didn't take her. I tried to explain to her that she is in the hospital and couldn't go. At this point, her mom asked her if she knew what hospital she was in. Katie's response was to tell Sue that she is Number One (and not the nice way). I finally got tired of arguing with Katie and I ended up telling her that I did ask her if she wanted to go to the pictures, but she didn't want to. "That's so much bull," was her response. There was a lot more, but I think you get the point.

While that's not the Katie that we know, it's not unexpected and we've had numerous Dr's tell us that with brain injuries things will come out of her mouth that will surprise us. The injury will accentuate certain aspects of her personality beyond what she would normally show.

All in all it was a very good day and Katie is making big strides cognitatively, now on the the PT!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanking God for wonderful advancements...frankly I think it takes a little coordination of fine motor skills to get that middle finger up (not that I do it often).

Also, since I know you love advice: How about setting up a link to your own blog called "Davey's Big Day."
-Dawn

Anonymous said...

hmmmm I wonder about the genes?? Could it be when you say no a gene blurps out! Ha! Ha!

Wow that's awesome how your family was blessed today. You have my sympathy for not having enough time to give us are fix mid afternoon.

Thanks Karen for your concerns of the children

God you are more than enough we will trust you...

Anonymous said...

Just want you to know that prayers for Katie are reaching far and wide... She has been especially on my heart the last two days... Our God is bigger than even this.. We are thankful for your wonderful testimony through this trial and want you to know that you are being taken to Our God's throne daily-
Melinda C. Owatonna, Minnesota

Anonymous said...

Davey, We are back in Michigan and still praying for you and Katie and the kids. Sometimes I feel really crabby and contrary and uncontrolled things come out of my mouth and I don't have any brain injury (that I know of)so if what was happening yesterday afternoon is the normal progression of what's going on with Katie's situation than I guess we have to be thankful for that.
I want to especially pray for YOU though since you are the one faced with a big juggling act and most moms and grandmas know about juggling. Anyway God will give you the catches and throws that keep things balanced.
We love you lots. Uncle Dave and Aunt Margie

Anonymous said...

I know there will be times that will be difficult for the two of you, but I guess, now that she's becoming more aware, she feels like she's not in control and that's hard. The picture can be a "surprise gift" for her. I can understand her feeling left out, but she'll understand it eventually. I'll be praying that she won't take out her frustrations on you, but I guess that's better than on someone who doesn't quite understand her medical condition clearly.

Hang in there!

Roxanna
Houston, TX

Anonymous said...

Davey and Kids,
Just wanted you to know we are praying for you, your precious Katie and dear children. You are all very dear to us and we wait with you in expectant faith for our Lord's healing and are rejoicing and not surprised by His merciful healing/miracles He has performed so far! I've been hooting and hollering with you at every step of progress! So excited for the testimony you are protraying to all those around you! I'm sure our Saviour is greatly pleased! Love on your wife and children for us! Lots of love and prayers, Daniel and Heather Smith (Yost) and 4 girls Wichita, Ks