Monday, August 18, 2008

Monday am

Sunday was a fun day, as we brought the whole family up for a visit. My brother James and his wife Eryn and two of their kids were headed back to St. Louis so they came with us and had a quick visit with Katie. Again, with Sawyer there, Katie was able to do a little snuggling and fed him his bottle. Dawn had previously brought some fun stuff for the girls to do (games, crayons, etc...) so the kids all drew pictures for Katie while we visited. It was so good to have James and Eryn as they took the night feedings so that Karen and I could get some rest. Also, James is still a kid at heart and he spent a lot of time tiring out the older kids.

Kyle and Karen's 6th anniversary was on Sunday, so they went to a movie, had a nice dinner, and spent the night in a hotel. Sue came home and watched Ava (Kyle and Karen's daughter, almost 2yrs old) and I took the night feedings. Man do I appreciate Karen!

This morning our neighbor Jen took the girls to school (their school is on our street so they walk to school) and I headed to my office to take care of a few things. I got to the hospital around 10 to find Katie in the middle of therapy. She was doing some strength exercises, and said, "this is too easy." So I suggested they get heavier weights, Katie said that wasn't necessary. After Occupational therapy we were off to Speech. Speech is kind of deceiving as it really is more of cognitive therapy as they really work with memory, reading, writing, and problem solving. Other than being tired, Katie is doing very well.

Katie's Dr of internal medicine is going to take her off of the muscle relaxers they have been giving her for her stiff neck as they think it's making her tired. They are increasing her blood thinners as her blood is too thick right now. Other than that, everything on the medical front is going very well. We are still waiting on her swelling to go the rest of the way down to see how her eyes will respond. Not sure when the next CT scan will be, but it should be in the next week or so. Katie told Dawn this morning that she wants Mark, Rob, and myself (leaders of Two Rivers Church) to come and pray for her eye (based on James 5). Dawn prayed over her and when she was done, Katie prayed for herself.

Katie's memory does seem to be improving as there are times that see really surprises us. Sue was taking Katie back to her room yesterday when Katie started yelling (in a nice voice) at a couple walking away from them down the hall. It turns out they were recent clients of hers, and she recognized them from a distance, walking away from her! This next week at church we are have a baptism at Saylorville Lake, and we were planning on having Aubree baptized as she excepted Christ as her savior this last year. I decided to hold off as I want Katie to be there. However, Katie did remember that when Tayler was baptized that we helped her write her "testimony" to be read at the baptism, as she was concerned about getting that done for Aubs.

Katie does struggle with "immediate" things. Mostly like what time of day it is. She typically thinks it's afternoon when it's morning. She has a hard time with current date, year, etc...

Things are going so well and we couldn't be happier. We continue to praise God for all that He is doing. We are also so thankful to all you out there that are praying and supporting us.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Davey,

My husband Mario and I are friends of Chad's from church here in Houston. We have been following Katie's progress from Day 1, (we were at a leadership retreat with the church when the call came in & our pastors kept giving us updates from the stage). I just wanted to let you know that we have been praying for you and Katie and the kids everyday. She is blessed to have such a God-fearing, strong and loving husband! What an awesome testimony that God is creating through your family! And how awesome that ya'll's (from Texas, I told you!) girls have both excepted Christ! Congrats to them! We will continue to pray daily until Katie's home and well!

~Crystal Bruning

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, We in the Detroit area have been reading your blog and praying for Katie, and I have tried to post several times, and fineally I've gotten through(at least, if you can read this I have). You probably know all about how the eyes work, but I thot I'd share my experiences . I am a klutz. I can't play games that involve aiming or eye-hand coordination.(at camp,they always picked me last for teams) I have no depth perception, because one of my eyes sees things higher than the other (retinal disparity). When you look at things,the right eye sees some things, the left eye sees some things, and your brain turns them upside down and overlaps the middle stuff to give you binocular vision and depth perception. In my case, the overlap area has double vision, so my clever brain turns off everything that does not make sense.I have poor depth perception, but I don't see double, except when I am tired.When I am exhausted, my brain doesn't have the energy to turn off the overlap. I bet Katie's brain is going in overdrive to relearn all the new functions she is regaining.
A large chunk of vision is learned. Blind people who have had their sight repaired just see blocks of color. It takes time and practice to learn the difference between shadow and sides and translate what the colors mean. For Katie, the overlap area takes brain energy she may not have, so it makes sense to let it rest by an eye patch now and then. What I wanted to share is that when I am tired and have double vision,my brain tries hard to make it make sense, and it is mentally stressfull. so AARGH on Katie!!
I helped my mom take care of my dad while his cancerous brain tumor grew and gradually destroyed some of the functions Katie is getting back, so it is personally exciting for me to tune in each day and watch what new function she is developing,kind of like a butterfly opening or night turning into dawn. Our prayers are with you all, that He will continue the good work He has begun in her until she is restored to physicat,mental, and spiritual health. Love Aunt Mary

kdkerwin said...

I love seeing God work, and am psyched (such and 80's term huh?) that church leaders are coming to pray for her eye based on James 5. Am praying too. My whole bible study group stays connected with Katie's progress, I'll get them on it too. I was telling someone the other day that was having problems with nightmares about a girl in college - a certain wife of yours- that gave me a cassette (remember those:) with someone reading romans. I used that night after night for a while.