Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sunday Evening

Again, not much on the medical front to report. Her PT has been pushed off because the Vascular Surgeon is out of town until Monday night, so he will be in to see her Tuesday and let us know if we are good to go. BP continues to be controlled by meds, and the control is good. Her blood thinner has been pushed up to a relatively high level and still no adverse reactions (ie. brain bleeding). The nurses regularly check her mental status as that will be the first indication that there is pressure on her brain.

As far as her mental status, we continue to move forward. Apparently Sunday afternoon is a time when people are free to visit. At one time we had 8 visitors in her room, and she handled it well, even finding time to talk to her friend Dawn on the phone for a few minutes. Katie did have a first time visitor today that is worth mentioning. Today I took Sawyer to church for the first time. The girls went swimming with some friends after church, and I took Sawyer to see his momma. It was so funny because at first I had to convince her that Sawyer was her baby. When I held him up and said, "this is your baby boy", she scowled at me and said, "that's so much bull". Michelle (a friend who was visiting at the time) and I both lost it. After a few minutes of insisting and showing her pictures of her with Sawyer, she relented. It was so cool to see her holding him and loving on him like any good mother would. She was not real excited about me hovering over her and Sawyer, and let me know it. She had a hard time managing his wobbly head, though she was holding his body just fine, I was just making sure his head was supported. Overall it was a very good time as Sawyer handled it well and I could see a spark in Katie's eyes too.

She still has her witty sense of humor (I think she's actually funnier than before). At one point Sue said to Katie, "that Davey's a pretty good dad, huh." To which Katie replied, "yeah, he's alright." While she was saying it though she winked at me (well, more like a blink, but I got it). I wish that I could write all of the interactions that we have with her, as I have rarely laughed this hard, but I really don't have the energy. Just know that we are getting our Katie back and we are loving it. However, I don't want to downplay how far we still have to go. Her eyes are still not working correctly and she is still not able to complete long thoughts. Her speech is very clear, its just that she looses the thought mid-sentence. So, we covet your continued prayer.

Again my prayer for this week is that PT moves along nicely and we end up in rehab by the end of the week. The last time I said that, she developed blood clots. Let's hope this time is different.

We continue to get your cards and gifts and I can't tell you how much of a help that has been for our family. It's so awesome to know so many of you care so much. Just know that your making a big difference in the lives of our family.

7 comments:

Eryn said...

wonderful post! thanks so much. we are so glad sawyer and mama are getting together. may the lord bond them .

Ronda Gentosi said...

Davey ~ We had a wonderful time at the pool with the girls. They had ate, laughed, and just had a good afternoon with the girls. We prayed for Katie and Sawyer's visit and the Lord has blessed that time of mama and son. Praise His Name!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the continued updates. It can't be easy juggling it all. Will continue to pray as the girls start school. So glad Sawyer had some time with his mama today. We'll keep you all in our prayers.

Rhonda E. in Ontario, Canada

Anonymous said...

That is so great that Katie got to be with Sawyer today. The way you write just makes it like I am right there in the room watching all of this. Davey, God Bless each and everyone one of you and may he continue to keep his arms around all of you and do his thing. I'm not that great with my words, but please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers every time I pray.
Kim Anderson---Des Moines

Kathy said...

I love hearing the funny stories of the things she says! We continue to uplift all of you in prayer. So happy to hear that she had some bonding time with Sawyer! We will pray that she will remember him more and more and that she will bond with him in heart and soul.
Love, the Kerwin's from CT

Sodacoaster said...

she must be even more hilarious when she compresses all of her thoughts into one straight shot like that!!! i love what she said when Sawyer came over.

thanks for the updates

Anonymous said...

Davey, When Bob had his brain bleed he also had trouble with eyesight. His left eye wanted to veer off to the left which caused him to have double vision. For some reason the medical staff just sort of ignored that and said there wasn't anything they could do until he had done rehab. I asked about an eye patch and for some reason (maybe law) they weren't allowed to do that. But they said I could do it so I went to Wal-Mart and bought an eye patch. That helped him tremendously. I don't know if Katie's problem is double vision but it can be very troubling. Maybe she doesn't want to see two Daveys if that is the problem. Bob would try to hold his left eye shut before the patch but that can be very tiring. After his rehab I took him to see an ophthalmologist who specialized in neurological disorders. After surgery on the eye muscles and prism lenses in his glasses he can see just fine now. We'll pray that her problem can be easily fixed.

Arlice Gallagher in De Soto KS