Monday, August 4, 2008

Monday afternoon

Another good day for Katie, though as we expected she is still a little out of it. Dawn (a close friend) spent the night with her, and it appears that one of Katie's alert times is early morning, as they had some good conversations before the sun came up. She also interacted well with her mom early this morning.

PT was in around lunch and had her up walking and then sitting in a chair. Apparently she slept funny as her neck is really sore and she has a hard time looking to her left. So, while she was sitting in her chair I rubbed her neck and shoulders. Reminded me of old times, like when I would rub her shoulders at home (I guess that was only 3 weeks ago).

Occupational Therapy was just in and was having Katie work on some basic grooming skills (i.e. washing her face). Katie didn't do so well as she kept falling asleep.

Good thing we got her the feeding tube as I think that she would really have a hard time eating enough to be healthy at this time. Also, the meds they are giving her through the tube are more effective than the IV and so they have stopped monitoring her BP every hour and have moved to every 4 hours.

We continue to have friends and family stop by, which is a good thing as long as we keep the visits short and sweet. Speaking of family, I just want to say how cool it is that her granddad Lew (from the Clarkson side) has been by to see her everyday but one since she's been in the hospital. He's 89.

She's sleeping now and must be upset as she is mumbling in her sleep. Probably dreaming of me.

3 comments:

brookshanes said...

You're hilarious Dave. Thank you for your testimony of Christ's work in you and Katie. It is amazing. I have contacted Dawn about how Kaio can help you guys please feel free to shoot an email to me if you think of a good way we can help up here.

Brooks Hanes from Cedar Falls

Meredith said...

dave-
great job on the blog...you write from your heart & i hear your voice through your words.

it's hard to be away, but we are praying for you guys!

lots of love to all of you!
meredith

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know how much I have seen Christ's love shine through your words Dave. I don't know you or Katie or anyone you have mentioned in your blog but since I have been reading since day one I feel like you are a part of my family since we share a connection in Christ. God has been so gracious to you and Katie and He will continue. Keep your eyes on Him and He will help you through each moment. God is in control and you have openly let Him be in this situation! You are an inspiration to many and God has a very special plan through all this. Stay strong and God Bless.

Dena Dunham
Waukee, IA
Point of Grace Church