Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sunday afternoon



Many of you have asked about Sawyer so I wanted to post a picture for you. In this one he is about 3hrs old and just got eye slime put on by the nurse, but he's still my boy!

Today I took the girls to see Katie for the first time. I know how many of you were praying so, God must have decided that it was better for Katie not to interact with the girls at all. She slept the entire time. We started off by going to church, which was great, but also weird. I'm the worship leader at Two Rivers, but this morning I sat in the audience while a friend named Lynn filled in. He did wonderful, but it was weird. The girls had a great time seeing all their friends and it really felt like normal just being there (other than my weirdness).
So right after church we went to the hospital.....and watched Katie sleep. I was able to show the girls the staples in her head, the machines that are giving her her food, and the machine that is giving her her meds. Aubree was interested, but Tayler was content to sit back and just observe. Before we left we all gathered round Katie and laid our hands on her and prayed. I tell you nothing is better than seeing childlike faith lived out in your kids prayers. We have taught our kids to pray big prayers, as they tend to actually believe that God will come through, and it's fun to hear them. Things like, "help mommy get better so she can come home today". I promise you, when kids pray, things happen. All in all it was a good experience and the girls left better off than when they came.

Now, it's not too surprising that Katie was really tired. The last really big day we had with her was last Sunday. If you look back on the blog you will see that there was a ton of interaction. So, after her big day, she proceeded to sleep from Sunday evening clear until Tuesday afternoon. Well, yesterday was even bigger than a week ago. She was out of bed three different times, walked at least 75 feet and had a number of prolonged interactions with family and friends. So, my guess is that she will be out until sometime Monday evening or Tuesday morning.

Dr. Carlstrom was a little concerned that she would not wake up for the girls so he ordered another CT scan, which I am happy to say is showing good improvement. The swelling is going down, and the hemorrhage is improving (I assume that means the blood is dissipating). So she really is just tired and not getting worse. Also, her blood pressure and fever persist, but are being controlled nicely by meds.
My hope/prayer is that by the end of the week she could be moved to the rehab wing of the hospital. Methodist has a wonderful rehab called, Younkers Rehab, and everyone who knows about this stuff says that is the place you want to be. It's also nice that it's part of the same hospital system so her care level should stay high.
One thing to pray for is my work. My boss has been great (he actually threatened to fire me if I showed up at work), and my co-workers are doing a great job covering my business, but now that my sugar-momma is laid up, I will probably actually have to get to work. My hope is to return part time the week of the 11th. The girls start school that week so it will probably work best to wait until then.
I also wanted to say a special thanks to my brother Rex and his wife Shawna and kids. They came up this last Friday from Topeka, KS, and basically took over the house for the weekend. Shawna took all of the night feedings for Sawyer so that Karen and I could rest, and Rex pretty much took the day feedings. Shawna also took the girls shopping and together they made sure we all ate well. So, we had a great weekend with the family as their kids get along great with our kids.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Davey,
I have no idea the feelings that you are experiencing right now, but I will tell you that it was very encouraging to see you this morning and to see the girls laughing and dancing. To see those interactions brings joy to my heart knowing that only through your (and ALL of your family) strength, faith, encouragement, stability, and love are they able to remain full of smiles and laughter. It was a true blessing for the girls to visit and pray for their mommy, thank you for writing that as it reminds me that I need to be childlike and to trust that my big prayers will be answered.

Ronda Gentosi said...

Davey,
It was good to see you at 2RC this morning with the girls. We know for you it was "wierd" and comforting at the same time. We are praying and believing that the day will come, very soon, that you and Katie and Tayler, Aubree, and Sawyer will walk through the doors together.
We love you all so much ~
Rick and Ronda

mama goose said...

Father God, I thank You for this family who loves You. I thank You for Katie's healing progress. I thank You for friends and family who have been blessings. I thank You for Your presence in the lives of so many people. I thank You for the plans You have for Katie, plans for hope and for a future. I thank You for Your love. Please continue to do all things good. I love You so much. I ask this in Jesus' name, Amen

Dena G.

Anonymous said...

Hi davey,
You don't know me But I have been reading and praying for you Katie and the kids. i have woken up acouple time in the middle of the night and was impressed to pray for Katie.
There is some of us that you will never know until we get to glory that have been praying for you and your family.

Blessings
Phil

Anonymous said...

Dear Davey,

You shared your anniversary celebration of renewing your vows and weeping for who you were not as a husband. You ARE the husband you prayed you would be. You model His sacrificial costly love as you daily leave the children to be with Katie and leave her to be with them.

You model Him as you serve and pray, trust and pray and as you give even as you sleep. We celebrate your love for Katie and the children and we celebrate God's love shown to you and your children through believers.

God will be sufficient as you return to work. He will continue to provide and fill in cracks you can't even forsee as Katie progresses. May you feel His rest as you love and as you write, as you physically and emotionally pay the price of being spread thin. We all feel the heaviness of this trauma involving the whole family and we bear the burden with you. We lift you all, all involved in prayer continually, bringing you before Him, the Healer of broken bodies and aching hearts.

In Christ,
Barb H.
Waterloo

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words from a beautiful woman, Barb H.
I can only add AMEN! to what she said!
Hugs,
Shirley (colin's grandma)

paulette said...

Davey~

How beautiful as you role model what a husband does for his wife. Your girls are video taping you as you are the example.

Thank you for not being a shame of the gospel.. Thank you for allowing God to be who he is through you. Continue to be helpless, desperate, and dependant on him that is are calling.

Bless you

Unknown said...

Davey - You're such an incredible example of godliness. We're so thankful that Katie has you.

The picture of the girls at Okoboji is great. They're all so beautiful.

I really miss not being able to call Katie about house stuff. She's so good at what she does. But we're so thankful for the progress she shows everyday. We're praying and trusting the Lord to heal her completely.

Eric & Sara Sanger

Anonymous said...

Dear Davey, God always answers our prayers better than we ask and from what you described that is what He did for your visit with Katie with Aubree and Tayler. We are thankful that it went well. I am amazed at the many many people that are walking this walk with you and prayer with/for you along the way. What you do and say are changing them and they are changing you. God works in such marvelous ways! How can we understand them except to stand amazed with our mouth open.

We are still praying and we love you!! Aunt Margie and Uncle Dave/ still in AZ

Eryn said...

we are still praying here in st louis and have many friends who you dont know following the blog and praying also. we hope to be up in about a week and a half to help out. i am glad karen and kyle could have a break.
still praying for the girs when they first get to speak to katie.

Country Girl said...

Hi Katie and fam,

I attend church with your Uncle Jim and Aunt Jane and Grandma Janice. I have been praying for you all ever since I heard what happened to you. My kids and I pray for you together, because they know you as "Mrs. Janice's granddaughter", so that is the connection for them. We will keep praying!
Blessings,
Jenny Anderson, Eldora, Iowa

Danielle said...

So, I was away from my regular computer (where I have this blog as one of my favorites) and wanted to see if there had been any recent updates. I googled Katie Bloom and this sight came up as one of the top sites. I was pretty impressed and know that Kates will get a kick out of that one! There's also a race car driver named Katie Bloom so maybe Katie can take that up as well when she gets out of the hospital.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your girls were able to see their mommy. How wonderful and yes, God knows what He's doing. It's encouraging to read these updates and I know they take time to post, but thanks for including us in this. I love being able to pray for you.

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

God Bless you today!

Roxanna
Houston, TX