Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tuesday Evening

Not much to report today. The good news is that the swelling in Katie's leg has gone down, which can mean that the clot is dissipating. Today they took some blood to test and see how the anti-coagulant is working. As of now I haven't heard back on the results. She was alert a lot more today as she has fully rested from her big Saturday. Again it appears that Katie's preferred awake time is around 5 am, which is unfortunate for the person staying with her at night. We also had some very good time with her early in the afternoon. She even sat up and ate a few bites (and told me she wasn't sure about my ability to handle the house). She's obviously still delirious.

Lew, Katie's granddad, thinks that I am being, or should be, paid by Methodist hospital for all of the good press that I have been giving them, but I must give credit where credit is due. All of the nurses that Katie has had have been wonderful but I must mention Toby (her real name is October, how cool is that?). Toby was Katie's first nurse when we first got to North 3, and she already knew about Katie from the blog even before we got here. It was Toby who noticed Katie's swollen leg yesterday and got us started on the clot treatment. So, from the family, we just wanted to say a big thank you for being so attentive (I prefer cash, but a check will do nicely).

The girls seem to be doing better since they came to see Katie on Sunday. I did get scolded for coming home so late last night. However, all was forgiven once I explained why I had to stay so late (try explaining anti-coagulant to a 5 year old). My plan is to wait a day or so until Katie is good and rested and then bring them up when she is good and alert.

I wish I had more to post, but I feel like I've told you about everything, except maybe her catheter (she is a peeing machine!).

12 comments:

Laurel said...

That last line is gonna have you headed for the doghouse one day soon...

Love you all!

Anonymous said...

Davey, you're welcome... and thank you for the thank you (is that how that goes?) I am confident that I have been covered by the many prayers of all who are praying for Katie's caregivers. Thanks be to the King of Kings for his provision through all of us working with Katie at the hospital!!

Toby

lyz said...

God is awesome in that He allows us to "help" Him in His work. Toby, you are one of those helpers.

3 cheers for Toby!

Jon Wolgamuth said...

Davey, I fancy myself somewhat of a 5-year old language expert. I think the best way to explain anti-coagulant to a 5-year old would be to say that it is medicine that prevents "blood boogers".

Not only will they understand, but they will be rolling in the aisles because you said the word "booger".

Prayers, and prayers, and prayers for all you guys!

Eryn said...

we are so happy to hear she is doing better. hope the girls get to see her soon!

Anonymous said...

Davey~

YOU NEED DELIVERANCE!!! yOU ARE BEING NAUGHTY.Ha! Ha! You better have fun while you can when she becomes aware you are in HOT water!

Blessings

Anonymous said...

I have been praying and will continue to until Katie is home with her family!! I praise God for the progress thus far and trust Him for future progress.
Lori Nielsen friend of Sue and Rod

ToesInTheWater said...

"O LORD, God of my salvation, I have cried out day and night before You. Let my prayer come before You; incline Your ear to my cry. LORD, I have called daily upon You; I have stretched out my hands to You. But to You I have cried out, O LORD, and in the morning my prayer comes before You." Ps. 88:1,9,13 Davey...We are crying out on your behalf as you ride this emotional rollercoaster. The good news is that He is riding it with you--thru the highs and lows-- Actually, He is driving the thing! Much love and many prayers...Jay and Sue and Daniel

Anonymous said...

Davey,

Just wanted to say that Jeff and I continue to pray for you and the family as well as Katie's recovery. We appreciate so much the faith the you are showing throughout this ordeal. And I must say you still crack me up. :) Thanks for keeping us updated!!
Jeff and Kari H. NY

Unknown said...

Just a thought- and probably one you or one of your attentive helpers around the house have already thought of....take plenty of pictures of Sawyer and start a journal or baby book to chronicle his early days so Katie can catch up on what she missed while she was laid up in the hospital. Katie is going to grieve her loss of those early days with Sawyer when she is well. That baby book/pictures will help with that grief.

Also, during those hours when you are sitting at the hospital and Katie is sleeping, maybe you ought to keep a daily private journal for Katie about what is going on with her (and you) specifically. Then when she is well, she can see day to day what happened, how God is working, who came to see her etc. You will forget all the details if you don't write them down and she is going to want to know everything! IN THE JOURNAL you can say all you want about her catheter too!

Just thoughts this morning....I follow your blog daily.

Nicole Gallagher from Lawrence Bible Chapel

Anonymous said...

Good ideas Nicole. I know it will be a bit sad for her knowing that other women took care of her children while she was in the hospital, but from what I've learned about Katie so far, she'll be appreciative and kind.

I can't wait til the day Katie reads all these blogs and comments on them. This one will stir up some laughs for sure!

Roxanna
Houston, TX

Anonymous said...

Davey -

Continuing to pray for Katie and your family. It's funny, I was just thinking the same thing about pictures....it will mean alot to Katie to have photo memories of Sawyer to look back at when all of this is behind you since she's missing a little piece of his life.....the girls as well, but babies change so much the first few months that not seeing that will hit her harder! I am reminded everytime I read your updates of how much we take for granted and how little control we really have over the course of our lives - what an amazing comfort to have an unchanging God who only has our best in mind! Praying for not only Katie's full recovery but also for the incredible doors God is opening for you to share your story.

Elaine (Puryear)Guikema
eguikema@yahoo.com
Houston, TX