Saturday, August 16, 2008

Saturday Noon

Friday was a busy day for all concerned. For me, I took the girls to school in the morning and then jumped in my car and drove to Dubuque (3 hrs) for an business appointment. After that I visited my brother Johnny who is going to school at Emmaus Bible College (where Katie and I first started seeing each other). Then about 4pm I headed home as one of my other brothers James and his wife Eryn were coming for the weekend from St. Louis to give Karen, Kyle, and I a break.

So, I didn't get to see Katie at all on Friday, but I did get to talk to her on the phone a couple of times which was really neat. Sue did keep me updated and Katie had a great Friday doing some rehab. It's really cool what the therapist are having her do and how well she is accomplishing the tasks. Most of all they are keeping her busy as she has 4-6 therepy sessions a day, each one lasting 30-60 mins.

Today I took care of a few things at home and then headed down to the rehab center (which is technically attached to the hospital). As I walked in she was working with the Occupational therapist working on some math problems. One of the things that they do to help with the vision is put an eye patch on her. So I asked her to do her best pirate "arghhhhh", which she did. Next they moved on to practicing writing checks. The exercise is less about the check and more about writing, dates, and numbers. Katie did great on it all. She even signed her name.

Yesterday Katie was working with one of her therapist and she asked her how long she would be here. The therapist said, "don't hold me to this, but I would guess 3-4 weeks". Wow, we could be home in another month. One thing that still is a concern is her eyes. No one is really able to give us a straight answer, mostly because there are a lot of variables. However, most think that as the rest of the swelling goes down and the blood dissipates, her eyes will correct themselves. The problem is no one knows for sure.

Another thing is that the nurse is asking that we have someone with her at all times as she is able to get up very quickly and they are worried about her falling. So, we'll be working on a schedule to keep someone with her at all times.

We are very encouraged as it is so much fun to see her progress so quickly.

5 comments:

Laurel said...

Praise the Lord! Thanks for the report. :-)
Laurel Smith

Anonymous said...

That is great news about all the things Katie is doing. Gee Davey, I wish I knew that you were heading to Dubuque, we could have had a race. I'm in Wisconsin - I always go through Dubuque. Love you guys, Debbie

Amy H said...

What great news on Katie's progress. Praise the Lord! We will keep praying for even more improvement and for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dave~

I know that there are many, many people praying for Katie, yourself, and the entire community as they stick together to help with any and all things possible. I was blessed enough to receive the original prayer request. Guess what Dave?

Eleven years to the EXACT date that Katie had the aneurysm, I had the same. I was only 26 years old. I want to encourage you to continue the prayers and everything that you have been doing.

I would love to share more of my testimony with you but, not on the blog comments. Please feel free to email me @ Mel2shay@aol.com.

IN HIS GRIP~!
Melisa Touchet

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord. I hope you enjoy your break this weekend. Will continue to pray.

Rhonda E
Ontario, Canada