Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tuesday night

What can I say, other than I'm a broken record, but we had another good day today. I'm going to keep it short as it's getting late. Again, medically not much has changed other than the Vascular Dr has approved PT. So Katie was up today and even walked to the bathroom twice, which is a big move forward as this gets us closer to formal rehab. They have been giving Katie muscle relaxers to help her with her sore neck and jaw. This has helped as now she is able to open her mouth more and therefore is able to eat some real food. They have also turned off her feeding tube during the day to help her want to eat more during the day. Which she did, eating a few good meals today, which she did mostly by herself.

She continues to be easily annoyed as she is struggling to understand what is exactly going on. This puts us in a tough situation. Katie knows enough to understand she doesn't like something, but isn't able to process the logic behind the treatments. Those of you who are real junkies of this blog will remember a very early post on Meredith's blog that basically said that "our little control freak is not in control and doesn't like it". Well that has never been more true than now.

Katie is answering lots of questions very well and her memory is getting clearer and clearer all the time. It's very tough to describe but today I saw more of Katie than any other day yet. Every other day has been fun to be with her, but it wasn't exactly the Katie that I know so well. But today a lot of the interactions felt "familiar".

Speaking of "familiar", I'll leave you with a couple of funny stories. The speech therapist was asking her to name family members, which she was, and at one point she asked Katie what her husband's name is. "I don't have a husband" was her reply (again, with a wink to me). Katie's cousin Tammie was in today for a little while today and at one point I was explaining to Katie why she couldn't do something. Of course this did not go over well with her and she leans over to Tammie and says, "can you take out my husband, I'll make it worth your while." So, I'll be sleeping with one eye open tonight.

12 comments:

Laurel said...

You just go ahead and be a broken record, Davey. This junkie devours every post and continues to pray for you all!
Love y'all,
L

Anonymous said...

OMG she is hilarious!! I told you about thoses GENES!!! You know she had a perfect teacher HA! HA!

Eryn said...

isn't it wonderful she still has her humor? we enjoy reading these so much, thanks, dave. see you soon.

Recovering said...

hilarious and encouraging. we are still praying!

Anonymous said...

Katie's nurse, Sue, from Monday's post and her husband, Eric, that did the photos are our neighbors! I can't WAIT to go down and tell her that we know Katie! Our world is so much smaller than we know and God brings us together for reasons we may or may not understand. My sister-in-law in Knoxville also knows a few nurses that were in the ER when you brough Katie in and they're singing God's praises b/c they didn't think she'd make it.

Anonymous said...

Junkie here! I love reading the posts. I get so exited when I see you've updated. Katie is so funny and you're so awesome to take the "jokes" so well. The pictures are beautiful. Your kids are beautiful. Wow. I hope Katie will see them as a gift, not like she was left out. Still praying!

Roxanna
Houston, TX

lyz said...

Good for Katie for keeping you in your place!

I love the pictures of the feet. Hang 10!

Kathy said...

oh my goodness!!! those photos are absolutely gorgeous! and so are your children ... just beautiful! what a blessing to have those photos!

love hearing the updates and still praying for all of you!

Kathy and Bob in CT.

Anonymous said...

Davey~
Thanks for the daily updates of Katie. You all have been in our prayers ever since day one and we will continue to pray. I love the photos, you have a gorgeous family!
Love~
Nancy (Wilson) Hicks

Anonymous said...

Thanks so very much for sharing the pictures Eric took with us! The children are just adorable and I love the sense of 'spunk' in the girls' eyes!

I know how hard it is to update when not much is happening, and thank you for taking the time to spread the word of God's great works.

Amy H said...

Gorgeous photo shoot! Wow! What a blessing. I especially love the ones of you, Davey, and the kids. So sweet...


Amy Hickman
Hillsboro, OR

Anonymous said...

great slide show - I love it