Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thursday Afternoon

Well, the big move happened. Goodbye North 3 and hello Younkers 422. For all you local people, go to the back of the hospital like you were going to the maternity wing, take the elevators to the fourth floor. We are room 422. The nurse is suggesting that if you come to visit that evenings are going to be best. If you need to come during the day, the weekend is best. Katie will need her rest during the day as they will be working her pretty hard.

Let me tell you these rooms are awesome. It's more like a hotel suite than a hospital room. We have a very good sized room, shower, terrific view of a beautiful courtyard, and a flat screen w/dvd. My guess is they want you to feel as good as possible before they work you to death, I mean life. It appears that Katie's schedule is going to be pretty regulated as they have already asked me when she wants her shower. One option was 6:30am, and I picked that one to get back at Katie for wanting to "off" me the other day. I just have to remember to not get here before around 11:00am so she has time to forget that rude awakening. Of course I'm just kidding.

Katie had another good day. One of the notables is that she picked up a pen and was writing. She was able to look through a page full of words and pick out certain letters. So we are excited that she probably won't have to relearn too much in regards to reading and writting. It looks like most of her rehab will be remembering things and working on that eyesight (if there is things we can do for her eyes, not sure other than pray of course).

The girls had their first day of school today, and had a great day. Neither one of them could care less about me as then both charged off to their class and went right in. At the end of the day they both said that it was great. A neat thing is that it's a brand new school, and it's at the end of the street so we were able to walk to school and then back again. Two neighbors have offered to take the girls and then pick them up after school, so that will be a big help.

Sawyer was able to make a quick appearance today. Katie had called me this morning asking that I bring him in as she felt like she needed to get to know him. It was a good time as I put Sawyer in bed with her and they snuggled. Also, it was time for his bottle and Katie was able to feed him. I got some very cool pictures.

Ok, now for the comedy. Katie is convinced that we have two babies (four kids is all). She and I had a half hour conversation about how the only baby we have is Sawyer (thank God in heaven for that). She is convinced that I've lost the other baby. So she was asking me how old Sawyer is, and I said 5 weeks. She asked me how long she was pregnant with him and I said 9 months. To which she replied, "that's so much bull!" So, I asked her how long she thought she was pregnant with him, and she said, "3 months, tops". Another time she was going to the bathroom and caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. "Oh my", she said. Sue told her that she looked good with the short hair. "You have to be kidding", was Katie's response.

One month. It's been one month to the day that we first went to the ER for Katie's headache. Wow, what a month. A couple of times I've read back through the blog and postings on other sites, remembering those first few hours and days. It seems so long ago, but yet still very vivid. It's cool to see how far we've come, but can you imagine where we will be one month from now!?! I think we should start a pool to see who can call the day that we check out of the hospital and go home.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It thrilled me to read about the time that Katie and Sawyer had together today. A friend and I have been praying often that Mommy and baby time would come soon.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy about Sawyer coming to the hospital and Katie wanting to get to know him. Love you guys, Debbie

paulette said...

Davey~

You're such a good story teller. I love the part of You laying Sawyer in bed with Katie. OOOH soo beautiful!

God is good, Continue to press in and don't let go of your life line.

PEACE

Williams' Family said...

Got chills when I read that Katie got to snuggle with and feed here little guy! Praise God! He is so good!

Stephen and Nicki Williams
EBC Alumni
WI

Anonymous said...

Davey,
On August 1st you mentioned that you would love to be able to recommit to Katie on September 6th as it is your 10 year anniversary. God has been performing miracles for the past month and I know he will continue to for Katie, your family, and the many people who have been touched by this amazing experience. Maybe it won't be the 6th that she is able to leave, how about a pool for that day?! It's so great to hear how the kids are doing, thank you for keeping up on the posts and adding in the little stories, they bring a huge smile to my face!
Jessie

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here with chills on my spine and tears in my eyes as I read your post today. I'm so happy that Katie got to snuggle and feed Sawyer. That is awesome. I also love the photos of the kids, especially the close-ups of the feet. Davey the way yor write and ow you can add humor to all of this during this time is amazing to me. I hope to meet all of you one day. God Bless all of you and everyone whom you come in contact with there at the hospital. We will keep prayin'!!
***Kim

haverlee said...

I had a dream last night that I saw Katie and I asked her if she remembered who I was and she looked at me for a while and said, "kathleen" and I said, no, but you're close and then I asked her if she knew who jon was and she remembered him right away. (but who wouldn't?? :)
Davey & Katie- we had a great time visiting Karen at your house on tuesday and cleaning and bringing lunch and helping with the baby for a little while. It was such a blessing to be there to serve and your baby boy is precious!
Still praying for you guys!

~Haverlee Colyer
Des Moines

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear things are progressing so quickly. Also glad for Sawyer's interactions with Mama. God is so awesome!

Rhonda E. in Ontario Canada

Anonymous said...

Amazing Davey!, im so glad to hear of Katie's progress, our internet was down for almost a week, (thanx to timewarner ) and it drove me nuts ...i look foward to reading your post every day
We are still praying for you, Katie and the kids..and the docs to