Tuesday, July 29, 2008

davey update-tuesday 5pm

from davey:
Well Katie finally woke up, but not on her own accord. Physical Therapy was in and they do not play nice. Basically two of them man-handle Katie into an upright position sitting on the edge of her bed. Then then got her to stand up and walk about 15 feet around her bed and to the door. Now they act all nice and friendly, but there was no negotiating with them, so Katie walked. Now she was getting help but the therapist was very pleased with her strength.

After the walk they sat her in a chair like yesterday and had her sit for about 30 minutes. During that time a nutritionist came in and ordered Katie some food. Mark had stopped by just before the PT's arrived and so he and I kept Katie company while we waited for her food. Basically it was much like Sunday with Katie trying to complete some very important thoughts but never quite getting there. So, I showed her a copy of THE PICTURE (just scroll up if your not sure of what I speak), and asked her if she knew who the person in the middle is. It took her a minute but she eventually said, "me". Very good, I said, so who is the guy beside you. To which she replied, "orange juice, you need sugar". To which I replied, "you worry about yourself". Many of you may not know that I am Type I diabetic and Katie's biggest fear in the world is me being by myself and going "low blood sugar" and slipping into a diabetic coma. So her first instinct for me is worry/protection. This is good, but I also feel bad that even now she is worrying (which is sin by the way! Phil 4). She couldn't get any of the kids names and after a while I told her to take a break. Mark and I thought we would use the break to pray for her and as he came close to her she said, "hi Mark". Wow, I get orange juice and he gets his first name (more on this little development later). We had a great time praying and claiming God's promises over her and when we were done she said thank you.

The food arrived shortly after that and I left Mark to watch Katie while I went to get the Speech Pathologist as she was wanting to be there when Katie was eating. So after tracking down the Speech lady I came back to an interesting development. Imagine walking in seeing your wife making out with your best friend. Apparently it wasn't that bad, at least that's what they told me. I guess Katie had decided to all of a sudden stand up and Mark had to get to her in a hurry as she is still not the most stable when she stands up. This next part absolutely cracks me up. While Mark is holding her up (picture them dancing, though not really, supposedly) she is pulling the old, "hey, what is that over there" trick, trying to get Mark to look away so she could slip by him. Fortunately Mark is not 3 years old and didn't fall for it. But it was funny.

Mark left and we sat down with the Speech Pathologist and ate some macaroni, fruit, and a chocolate shake. She loved the fruit and shake, but was only mildly interested in the macaroni (which was very bland and desperately needed salt). At the end of the meal the therapist asked her what her husband's name was and she immediately replied, "idiot". Just kidding, "Dave", is what she said. I guess she was feeling guilty about the whole Mark thing. It was cool for me to hear that as that is the first time she has said my name since the surgery. She has said "babe" a number of times which is what she calls me most of the time, but this was the first time she said "Dave". The therapist asked her what her kids names are, to which she replied, Tayler and Aubree. Again I was thrilled as this was the first time she has said their names. The therapist asked her if she had a baby boy, to which she got that look on her face that says, "what you talking about Willis!?!" We decided that was enough for today and dropped it.

Again, another great day with big improvements on the physical side as well as the cognitive. She is sleeping now as we have once again wore her out, though not as much interaction as Sunday so I'm hoping to have a good talk with her tomorrow morning.

16 comments:

Kathy said...

So glad to hear that she is remembering your names! I was wondering if she'd asked about the kids. We continue to be in awe of the miracle God is performing in Katie!

Praise you all knowing God! You are awesome!

Praying for the surgery tomorrow, for Dr. C and for all of you ...

In Him, Kathy and Bob Kerwin

Reagan said...

I love hearing the different stories of her progress! I like the sense of humor you write with. We'll be praying for her surgery tomorrow, hopefully they can use the original skull piece and not a plastic piece. hopefully they don't have to use anything at all!

paxton said...

Davey,
We been following progress since day one and praying for katie like crazy! Keep the faith! God's plan are good!

We love you guys,
josh and Steph

Anonymous said...

Davey,
That is so sweet that Katie was concerned about YOU and your blood sugar level! Wow! Thanks so much for sharing the stories. I praise the Lord for how far Katie has come, and will continue to pray for complete healing.
In Christ,
Valerie Seals, Des Moines

JRandKara said...

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers!

Kara
Montezuma Iowa

Anonymous said...

wow, that is awesome...god created the heaven and earth in one day...i think he's letting you savor every moment of her intead of bringing her back immediately. great job with the updates. we are praying for that "skull" piece!

-jon and haverlee

Anonymous said...

Hi, I go to Clear Creek Community Church where Chad and family is. I love your posts. I have been praying for Katie and the family. I am a physical therapist and am hurt that you think we are mean!!! Just jokin, we like to call ourselves physical terrorists!!! But is sure does get them going doesn't it!!
I hope things continue to progress.
Brenda L. League City

Anonymous said...

Craig and I are thrilled to hear Katie's progress. That is so sweet and just like Katie to be concerned about your blood sugars.

We will continue to pray for Katie and her surgery tomorrow.

Stacy S in Ankeny

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the awesome updates. It's wonderful to hear how well Katie is doing! She'll be in our thoughts and prayers tomorrow especially. (I'm praying for God's constant strength and peace for you and your whole family in the next few days, too.)

A few days ago there was a posted comment suggesting that you make frequent videos of Sawyer so Katie won't miss all of this sweet time with him. I hope someone is able to take the time to do that for her. I'm confident that God will keep their bond strong, but, as a mom, I think that being able to see how Sawyer and the girls were doing while she wasn't with them will help heal any sadness her heart may feel.

In Christ,
Lauri W., Chanhassen, MN

Sodacoaster said...

what a ham!!! i didn't know Katie very well until one summer at Koronis when she, Jenny Anderson, and myself bunked together in this one room in the cabin. Let me tell you the laughter at night was painful. It was torment, and sometimes lasted until the wee hours of the morning.

soooooooo glad for this progress and that she said your name and her babies' names.

Praise our God.

Anonymous said...

We'll be praying much today... what time is the surgery? Also, if you have some down time to listen to a very encouraging sermon on God's sovereignty you can listen to Aaron preach on Isaiah 23 from last Sunday. It can be found at maranathabible.org!

We will stay before the throne on Katie's behalf...
Beth Telecky

Linda said...

I first heard about Katie when I was volunteering at the Methodist Surgery Center the next Monday. We truly serve an Amazing God and I continue to bring Katie to the Throne of Grace.
Blessings
Linda T., Methodist Surgery Center Volunteer; daughter graduated from ICA

Danielle said...

I love the fact that even when Katie is being "bossed" around she still is finding opportunities to take control of her life. Examples like telling you to drink orange juice for low blood sugar, her escaping antics, and praying for others just show me that she is fighting like a tiger to "find herself". I know she can do it. She has the most spirit, and one of the biggest stubborn streaks I know (next to her husband of course) :-) I'm reading a book right now called "The Last Lecture" and there was a fantastic quote I'd like to share. The author Randy Pausch died on Friday from pancreatic cancer. About 10 months ago he gave his last lecture @ Carnegie Melon shortly after receiving news that his chemo didn't work and he only had months to live. He is describing to the audience the tumors and how they will impact him. Randy said: "That is what it is. We can't change it. We just have to decide how we'll respond. We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." I immediately thought of Katie and you and how this is a hand you never imagined you'd be dealt. But I also know that after watching the two of you play cards, regardless of the hands you get dealt, you will bluff and scrap your way through it until you win. Praying for Katie today as she's in surgery and you all as you continue to "hurry up and wait". Also Davey, make sure you listen to Katie and take care of yourself too. Love you guys! Danielle

Anonymous said...

Pretty much off the subject - so nothing you need to worry about now. I forgot you were type 1, Davey. When were you diagnosed. My husband, Steve, has been type 1 since he was 12. I'm trying to get him on the pump.

PRAISE GOD for his work in and through Katie.

Sodacoaster said...

Davey, Mom said she stopped at the hospital on her way out of town. Katie's uncle Lou took her in to see Katie and she said you looked at her but didn't know who she was. It is Brooks and Nate Hanes' Mom (and my Mom). She was a Koronis person for a long time and friends with Katies parents.

Anonymous said...

I didn't read all the comments, but have you considered that when you asked her who the guy in the middle of the picture is, she was concerned that you didn't know who you were and thought your blood sugar was low? That might be why you got that answer!

I've been following your blogs and praying for Katie with my family. You knew me as Susan Gallagher.

Susan Oehmler