Monday, July 28, 2008

from davey-monday afternoon update

from davey:

Wow, what can I say. First of all I am so sorry that I didn't' get a chance to update the blog yesterday. I spent Saturday night with Katie (the first time I had done that) and so I spent most of Sunday with the girls and let Kyle and Karen go to church. So I really didn't get down to the hospital until later in the afternoon. All I can say is amazing!! The difference between Katie on Sunday over Saturday was truly breath taking. Like Meredith said there were just so many separate little things that it's hard to know which ones to put down. I would echo the "rude, rude, rude" story as a great one as it shows her ability to observe a situation and make an assessment and then a comment. Now, I would rather she make comments about other peoples behavior than mine, but at this point I won't complain. The best way for me to describe the change is that now she initiates more as opposed to being reactive. Another very good sign was her ability to eat some real food. We had bananas, yogurt, and grill cheese sandwich (and I do mean we, but I waited for her to be done in case there are some of you wachos out there who think I might take the food out her mouth for myself).

Today continues to be more of the same, though to a lesser amount as she is totally wiped out. The Dr's cautioned us that your good days will be followed by "sleep days" as it will exhaust her. I did have another 2mins with Carlstrom the neurosurgeon, though I think 2mins is a little generous. I can't tell you how many local people have told me that they have had the exact same experience with him. They also say in the next breath that he is very good. I will echo that, if your looking for Dr sit and chat and answer questions he is not the one. However, if your looking for brilliance, he's probably your guy. FYI a few years ago he lost his wife in a flood as she attempted to drive through some water, so please pray for him as I am sure there is some pain there. He says that he is tentatively scheduling the surgery to replace her skull piece for Wednesday, but it could be Friday. There is no real hurry to get it back in so he's willing to wait until everything is perfect (i.e.. swelling). So, here is my prayer- I know some of you probably think that I'm crazy for asking, but I am very serious about praying for God to close her skull back up. In the end, when Katie walks out of here, Dr's like Carlstrom will marvel at the human bodies ability to survive trauma. Now we know that is not what happened her, however, if he goes in on Wednesday and her skull is intact, no one will marvel at the human body. Instead, they will be forced to acknowledge something more than nature. I would imagine that I might have his attention for more than 2 minutes if he has to tell me that he does not have to do the surgery and I can say, "yeah I know, and I know why. Would you like to hear....?" We all believe that God can create with a thought, why not now for His glory. We only want to be used for His glory, so may he be glorified through us.

I also wanted to say that spent the morning reading through the pile of cards that have been delivered to me from Two Rivers and from the hospital. I am so grateful for so many who love and care for us. There is no way I'll be able to send each of you a thank you for your cards and gifts, so please know that we are very grateful to you all for your love and generosity.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has all truly amazed me.
I wanted to let the whole family know that my parents, sisters and I are all praying. We all know Katey from Iowa Bible Camp. (as well as some connections at EBC)
All of us at Greenfield Gospel Chapel are praying as well.
God is good. I'm so glad He's the One in control.

Anonymous said...

I am reminded of a lyric from the U2 song Grace:

"Grace make beauty out of ugly things"

It is amazing what beauty God is bringing about through this. I am so encouraged to see His grace being poured out on those who love you and your family. Our little church in Omaha is praying for miracles to continue to happen so that His name might be made great and your family might be restored!!!

Steph P-Dawn's friend from high school

Kathy said...

we will definitely pray that the Lord will supernaturally close her skull ... and likewise will pray for Dr. C.

I have no doubt that he's already been touched by Katie, you and all the family and friends he's met.

Love and prayers, Kathy and Bob Kerwin Uncasville, CT

Rachel said...

Glad to hear the news of improvement! We're still praying for you all!

Danielle said...

My friend Mike Hamel was recently diagnosed with Lymphoma and has been sharing his thoughts via a blog as well. He posted his version of The Lord's Prayer today and I think it serves as a great reminder to all of us. I especially love the line "I'm dependant" as we are definitely realizing how truly dependant we all are. Here it is:
Here’s Mike's version of the Disciple’s Prayer found in Matthew 6.

You’re God – I’m not.

Your will be done – as if I could change it.

Meet my needs – I’m dependent.

You forgive – so I’ll forgive.

Steer me from evil – I’m vulnerable.

Amen – make it so.

You can check out his journey and reminders for prayer also @ http://mikehamel.wordpress.com/
love you guys, Danielle Dunaway

Anonymous said...

It's so amazing to see how God is moving and working thru this situation. I am amazed at your godly attitudes and outlooks, too. My husband and and I are lifting Katie and your family up in prayer. We will now especially pray for her skull to close back up.

In Christ,
Amy and Dan Hickman
Westside Bible Fellowship
Hillsboro, OR

(we heard of you thru the EBC alumni site, although Davey may remember visiting our chapel back in his recruiting days)

paulette said...

In the darkness katie is made strong.

Connie N said...

Davey, I appreciate all the things that are said on this blog both by yourself, Meredith and whoever. I esp. liked what you said about how God is doing many things in the world and this is one small part (or something like that!) That is so true. However, you are getting to see him do this "small part" and it is always amazing to see His hand at work. I thought from the beginning of praying for the skull to close up on its own and I am so glad you suggested it. God can do and does amazing things. I was reading this morning about a well that was dug in India by Christians who are drilling it to spread the gospel. The well was dry at 290 ft. and there was much taunting by villagers. After four days of prayer, they hung a rope and it was wet! God provided water and many believed and the well is still in use.Keep hanging the rope and seeing the water of healing in Katie! The Living Water is still Living and answering the prayers of all! We are going to Linda's wedding this weekend. Will pray for healing of the skull and complete healing otherwise and esp. the healing of the doctors and nurses!(May they see that the rope is wet and find the Living Water.) Love in Him, Connie Newcome