Thursday, July 24, 2008

thursday AM update

from davey:

Another good night. Chad has been spending the night with her and he said that she was a little restless as the pain meds would wear off. A byproduct of having the sedative out of her system is pain, so Katie is now on morphine (very small dose). The good side of that is she is still more responsive on the narcotic as opposed to the sedative. So, when she is in pain she lets us know, which is a good sign.

She continues to open her eyes more and more and says things like, "that's weird". Mostly she's referring to her sight. When there is pressure on the brain one of the first things to go wrong is your eyes as that "nerve bundle" is sensitive to pressure. So until the swelling goes completely down she will have issues with her sight. However, the fact that she knows something is different with her eyes is a good sign.

Another cool thing from last night is that her brother Kyle and cousin Amy were in to see her and Kyle reminded everyone about a funny story from their childhood and Katie started smiling/laughing. So, she is remembering things from 20+ years ago. All in all yesterday afternoon was the best she has been to date as far as her speaking and interacting with us.

The MRI was taken yesterday mid-day and we should get the results sometime today when the neurosurgeon has a chance to look at them. Again, we are not really concerned about them at this time. Mostly we want to see that the overall swelling is going down.

Kyle and Karen are moving in today as my parents and brother Johnny drive to Kansas City this afternoon to catch a flight home. Thank God for family (Clarksons). I'm very excited about having them in the house with us as they are both wonderful with my kids. Pray for Karen as she is going from having one child to four and one is two weeks old. The good news on the baby is that Mindy (first aunt who watched Sawyer) and my mom both say that he is quite possibly the easiest baby to care for ever. My family (Blooms) has been awesome. Each day I come home, another project on my "honey do" list is done. My wife is going to vote me husband of the year when she gets home and sees all that is done (I will hunt any of you down who let her know that it wasn't me who did the work).

The nurses have allowed me to bring in some music and other things from home to comfort Katie. The music has probably been more beneficial to me than her but she does seem to enjoy one of her soft blankets. One song that has been fun to listen to is Tom Petty's, "Won't back down". Now most of you are wondering why that one, of all the awesome worship songs out there, I would comment on. Obviously Petty did not have any desire to glorify God through it, but when I view it through my "spiritual glasses", the words are really powerful. Especially considering the present circumstances (don't worry, I've been playing lots of other more overt worship songs). I continue to pray healing over her body and mind believing God for his promises and declaring those promises to her body and we are confident in the outcome. No fear!

7 comments:

Robyn said...

Thank you for keeping us updated out here in CO. We are thinking about Katie and your family every day. Katie and I were good friends growing up on Grant Street together as kids. I know that Katie has always been a very strong person and I know she will do everything in her power to fight through this. We are praying daily for her recovery and for your family.
Lover, Robyn Mott (Nolan)

Eryn said...

davey, we hate being so far away, but are watching closely for updates and devouring them. james and i were so glad to spend some time with you and katie and the kids. hopefully we can come up again soon. tell katie thanks for letting me borrow her running shoes while she was "laid up".
eryn

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

Thank you for keeping us updated on Katie. It is so encouraging to read that she is improving daily. Katie, the Blooms, and the Clarksons are constantly in our prayers. Your family's strength is awesome.

Love from your friends/neighbors,

Matt, Geneva, and Noah

Anonymous said...

So this morning I was sleeping and I had a dream that I went to the hospital to see Katie. She pretty much much was looking great in her wonderful hospital attire. We were talking and laughing and crying together. This dream caused me to wake up at 4:45am laughing and crying. I spent some time praying for Katie and the whole family. Then I started laughing because Katie knows I'm not a morning person and so it must be something or someone pretty special to wake me up at that unholy hour for anything (remember having to drag me out of bed every morning for church history Katie? And that was @ 7:30! Though most days I didn't look very pretty for class, I sure wouldn't have made it without you!). Kates, you are someone pretty darn special and I'm glad to wake up at any time to pray for you and your wonderful family. Love you my dear friend. Looking forward to making more memories with you ;-) Danielle

Matthew's Wifey said...

I just wanted to let you all know that I am praying for you and Katie. As I read her story I am getting teary eyed because it is almost identical to my own. I have posted a blog about it. http://matthewswifey.blogspot.com/
God completely healed me from what the doctors didn't think was possible. I know HE can do it for Katie too!----Anna F. Des Moines, IA

DDurand said...

Dave and Pam D from League City~
We haven't met Katie or her family, but have the privilege to know and work with Chad at CCCC. We have been on vacation in New Mexico and Colorado and are so thankful for the blog with updates on Katie's progress. We feel we have gotten to know Katie and her amazing family through this entire process, and like Chad, feel that we are daily being witnesses to God's miraculous power of healing.
Another miracle of God's working is how Katie's struggles and her will to live as well as Davey's thoughts have ministered to others. We are with friends on vacation who are facing difficult financial times in their business, and as we shared Davey's update and thoughts on 2 Timothy 1:7, our friends experienced a great wave of peace in knowing that God desires us to live in a spirit of power and not of fear.
We will continue to lift up Katie, the Blooms, and the Clarksons in our prayers daily.
I will end this by hoping you will share with Katie the reality that when she is totally recovered, she is going to have to go on an extended "mission trip" to visit in person the people who have fallen in love with her and our Savior through all this.
In Christ's Grace and Peace,
Dave and Pam

Shawna said...

I agree with Eryn, as family from afar right now, we are devouring the updates. We love each and every one of you and are continually lifting you up.

Be strong and courageous the Lord your God is with you!